Over the last few years, cloud computing has grown rapidly. The size of the cloud computing market today is more significant than ever. The COVID19 outbreak has accelerated digital transformation and made cloud computing a priority of choice. The cloud has become an essential first step in this transformational journey. It is the on-demand delivery of services like application deployment, storage and processing power over the internet in a pay as you go model. This allows companies to avoid the complexity of owning and managing their IT infrastructure and avoiding expensive up-front costs.
Oracle Cloud vs. AWS
If your company is looking to respond better to market changes and increase operative productivity, moving to the cloud could be a good choice, and in the long run, you will have to choose a cloud provider.
This article compares the cloud computing solutions from two different providers, a market leader and a smaller but promising provider, to show you their advantages and disadvantages. Currently how they differ in detail and specify what factors need to be considered before selecting the best cloud solution for your company.
Before we get into the details, let’s clear up some key abbreviations such IaaS, PaaS, SaaS, and DaaS.
- IaaS – Infrastructure as a service
- PaaS – Platform as a service
- SaaS – Software as a service
- DaaS – Desktop as a service
Oracle Cloud is a comparatively new solution to the market and cannot be compared to AWS in terms of size. Although Oracle Cloud does not rank high in the global cloud service provider rankings, the solution has a lot to offer. Oracle has set itself the goal of becoming a cloud leader in the future.
To help you understand what Oracle Cloud is all about, let’s explore key features and capabilities.
Oracle key features
By combining IaaS, PaaS, SaaS and DaaS solutions, Oracle offers a wide range of cloud products and services such as:
- Business analytics, including BI solutions, Big Data, data visualisation, autonomous analytics, and more.
- Application development which includes mobile, blockchain, IoT database, and more.
- Enterprise integration.
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems, Cloud for customer services.
- Cloud infrastructure setup, maintenance, Data integration and management.
- Security and safety compliance.
Pros of Oracle Cloud
Oracle Cloud provides many services and products as an integrated suite that enables companies to reduce their costs by excluding the need to purchase third-party solutions. See a detailed description of the benefits of Oracle Cloud:
- Integrated Technology Stack:
Oracle offers applications, middleware and databases as a complete and well-integrated system. You don’t have to create a patchwork of third-party services from different providers and painstakingly adapt them to your solution. The best way to get the most out of Oracle Cloud is to invest in the comprehensive version.
- Smooth Customisation:
Oracle enables its customers to adopt the cloud service to their requirements flexibly.
- Cutting-edge Technologies
Oracle is an industry leader whose cutting-edge technologies make its cloud platform fast and powerful. Speed is one factor that sets this solution apart from the others.
- Scalable Architecture:
Oracle offers an advanced, fully scalable infrastructure and enables companies to expand their IT platforms as they grow. This feature is vital for large companies going through the digital transformation process and wants to face-lift their activities in one area after another.
- Niche Approach:
In developing its cloud offering, Oracle focused on developing solutions that meet the needs of specific customer segments. Rather than trying to expand its platform in every possible way, Oracle focused on improving those capabilities.
- Excellent Customer Support:
Quick and effective solution to your problem.
Cons of Oracle Cloud
- No solution is perfect, and Oracle Cloud has its drawbacks too. These are the main drawbacks of this cloud provider that you should be aware of:
- Poor Low-End Offerings – because Oracle focuses on high-end offerings, the low-end offerings are less.
- Performance is low with solutions based on .NET.
- Oracle offers extraordinary services and products, but these are minimal solutions that may not be enough for companies that require simple functionality. Organisations that need a comprehensive platform are less likely to get what they need.
Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Amazon Web Services (AWS) has long been a leader in providing cloud storage and servers for companies looking to take the load off their data centre infrastructures.
Here’s why many companies choose AWS as their cloud provider.
AWS Key features
- AWS provides cloud storage that supports low-cost, hybrid and managed files and a wide range of data transport functions.
- Support for various databases such as Aurora, RDS, Redshift, DynamoDB.
- Support for advanced technologies such as IoT, AR, VR and machine learning.
- Analytics and business productivity, Business Intelligence (BI).
- Top security, identity, and compliance management.
- Advanced computing functions, Migration tools and Mobile services.
Pros of AWS
AWS has an outstanding track record of practical implementations, and its financial performance entices even more companies to its offering.
Below are the significant advantages of AWS over competing solutions:
- Extensive capabilities – Compared to other cloud providers, Amazon provides a large number and numerous functionalities. Large companies invest in AWS because it is a safe way to take full advantage of cloud technologies.
- Easy implementation and migration – AWS is bounded by an extensive ecosystem of independent vendors and consulting partners who help companies implement AWS-integrated SaaS solutions.
- Security and Compliance – Organisations migrating to AWS can rest assured that the processes they run in the cloud are completely secure and compliant.
- Excellent support – Amazon’s global reach is replicated in the technical support that Amazon AWS customers provide. Widespread multilingual customer support makes the solution one of the most reliable options on the market.
- Data centres worldwide – Amazon operates several small data centres worldwide to improve service localisation and limit the risk of local incidents.
- Continuous development – AWS is continuously developing its platform and elevating it with new offers. The vendor is also improving existing functionalities, particularly their integration and management.
- Pay-as-you-go model – AWS offers a Pay-as-you-go pricing model that allows customers to control the number of services they pay for and add new ones as they grow. Minimising upfront costs is easy with AWS. Companies can calculate their expenses as they grow without investing in products or services they don’t need.
Cons of using AWS
Still, AWS has its limitations that can motivate some customers to choose another provider. Here are the top AWS drawbacks to consider when making your decision:
- Complex Implementation – Many AWS services require extensive implementation and support experience. Additionally, companies who want to get the most out of them need to in-depth understand service updates and innovations. Ensure managed service providers know how to implement AWS technologies properly and get your help when needed.
- High Pricing – An AWS-based solution may seem inexpensive, but if you want to build a custom-made solution that meets your specific needs, it will cost you higher.
Choosing between AWS or Oracle
The payment type of AWS lets in easy adaptability and assists your enterprise to stay sprightly and spend money on cloud computing at its pace. Oracle Cloud additionally allows customers to leverage flexibility, relying on how regularly clients rely upon its offerings. AWS has installed an enormous marketplace presence and operates multiple data centres throughout the world. Their revel in turning in cloud offerings and super multilingual aid is a significant advantage.
Do you run a small startup or a large organisation? Your cloud computing needs will multiply regardless of your data, so you need a solution that easily adapts. At TDATG, we help you find the right solutions. To take advantage of our digital transformation experience, contact us.